Key Tasks And Responsibilities
- Own and develop the end-to-end packaging development process.
- Be responsible for packaging selection and packaging improvements of the product portfolio across all substrates and covering primary and secondary packaging.
- Build packaging knowledge and experience to become the “go to” packaging expert at Fish4Pets.
- Understand substrate options and product suitability, providing advice and guidance with packaging development.
- Self-motivation to understand new packaging knowledge to keep up to date with market changes, and to learn about packaging areas you don’t currently have detailed knowledge in.
- Work alongside the product managers, sales and marketing teams to provide expertise and guidance when scoping development of new products and planning changes to existing products.
- Be the link between packaging suppliers and manufacturers on packaging materials, styles, print quality, dimensions and specifications throughout the development process.
- Implement changes to material specifications to achieve sustained improvements in packaging consistency and functional performance of materials.
- Ensure all primary packaging is fit for purpose using external testing centres as required.
- Have knowledge of legal packaging requirements in different countries e.g. recycling labelling, and be responsible for ensuring products are compliant.
- Develop strong working relationships within the Global Product team, and as part of a cross functional project team.
- Interface with other functions in support of project delivery. E.g. brand development, supply chain and our Global packaging partners.
- Work closely with the artworkers to ensure they incorporate substrate and printing restrictions into designs and optimise the printing process.
- Keep abreast of new packaging innovation, through independent research, trade shows etc.
- Identify and evaluate new and novel packaging materials, manufacturing processes and technologies.
- Provide insight on new market concepts as well as emerging packaging trends.
- Lead on packaging projects that solely involve changes to packaging substrate.
- Engage with key packaging suppliers to develop and maintain eﬀective relationships, keeping up to date with new developments in supplier oﬀerings.
- Work with other cross functional teams on packaging life cycle assessment reports, and support the environmental, functional and economic projects.
- Establish a testing plan for any new primary or secondary packaging. The testing plan should include laboratory tests, factory packing trials, and distribution trials.
- Arrange testing of any new packaging concept and ensure the packaging is fit for purpose and viable from an operational, technical and commercial viewpoint.
- Work together with our internal packing team and external manufacturers to arrange packing trials including filling, sealing, outer boxes, wrapping and palletisation. Document the outcome and any next steps.
- Carry out all necessary transit trialling, working closely with the product manager and supply chain team.
- Establish a process to sign off packaging print run quality and attend first print runs when required.
- Establish colour standards for key materials for checking print run quality.
Packaging process and specifications
- Implement and maintain processes that ensure packaging development is controlled.
- Originate and complete packaging specifications for all packaging.
- Maintain a library of packaging specifications.
- Create and manage QAS for all new packaging.
- Identify opportunities for continuous process improvements in the development of new packaging.
- Identify potential cost saving projects across the packaging portfolio improving margins whilst maintaining packaging quality and print.
- Maintain supplier self-assessment audit questionnaires, supplier audit certification, relevant documentation and migration testing certification for each packaging substrate.
- To commit to the continued development, sustainment, and improvement of the organisations Quality Management System, and any future management systems that the company may decide to implement.
- To abide by Health and Safety regulations, and roles and responsibilities as defined in the companies Health & Safety Policy.
- Batchelors level degree in a related field [desirable]
- Significant experience of working with packaging – food industry or pet food experience preferred.
- Expertise and knowledge of a wide range of packaging materials and suitability with product requirements.
- Experience in a role within a FMCG environment preferred.
- A thorough understanding of the product packaging development process and relationship to the product lifecycle.
- Experience of packaging life cycle assessment and the environmental impact.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of current packaging regulations as well as emerging, sustainable packaging trends.
- Strategic communication and engagement with different stakeholders with consideration for the wider business impact [desirable]
- Working with different team members to achieve a common goal.
- Leadership of projects.
Aptitude, competencies, skills and abilities
- Confident using Microsoft Office packages including intermediate level excel.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- High level of accuracy.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good organisational and planning skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work efficiently across several projects simultaneously.
- Prioritisation skills.
- Process driven.
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to tailor communication effectively.
- Present factual information to inform decision making.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Commitment to continuous improvement.
- Understand risks and mitigate those as appropriate.
Personal attributes and Disposition
- Pro-active self-starter.
- Ability to use your initiative – with a positive, proactive attitude and the desire to learn and grow.
- Team player.
- Quick learner, methodical approach and able to think logically.
- Resilient and hardworking with a willingness to work independently in fast paced environment.
- Pleasant and confident manner for dealing with stakeholders.
- Ability to build rapport and work effectively in a cross-functional team.
- Desire to achieve for the wider business.
- Willingness to share knowledge.
- Own the projects that you are responsible for and have full accountability.
- Ability to influence new thinking with stakeholders, and challenge constructively.